This IOC just announced that wrestling has been dropped from the Summer Games, effective in 2020, thus removing any doubt that the Olympics are a complete joke. I now put the Olympics on the same viewing priority as the Professional Bowlers Tour and re-runs of Glee. In fact, there’s probably more legitimate “sports” in either of those two telecasts. I have written extensively in the past about what qualifies as a sport and what doesn’t so no need to rehash here, but let’s take a quick look at what the IOC now tries to define as a sport in the Summer Games, ignoring for a moment the fact that one of the wrestling events is called “Greco-Roman Wrestling” and, well, the Greeks may have played a small part in the history of the Olympics.
Here is just a partial list of the events (note, that I choose not to use the word “sports” because none of them are) that are currently included in the Summer Games:
- Ping Pong: Get serious. Like darts, billiards, and bocce, ping pong is a lot of fun to play, especially after downing a few beers, but nobody outside of China takes it even remotely seriously. Any game that is played more often with cups of beer on the playing field cannot possibly be a sport.
- Artistic Gymnastics: Zzzzzz. Oh sorry, I fell asleep. Artistic gymnastics is one of those activities that even the parents of the participants would not look forward to watching. Putting it in a multi-week athletic competition is unfair to the rest of us.
- Badminton: At a picnic, fantastic. At the Olympic games, joke.
- Slalom Canoeing: Bra ha ha ha ha ha ha.
- Tae Kwon Do: One of the reasons baseball was allegedly eliminated in 2012 was that it was a uniquely American game. Oh, so let’s bring in an event that actually only exists in a single language. If the combatants fight until someone is unconscious, I might go along with it.
- Mountain Biking and BMX Cycling: These are, respectively, a fun weekend activity and an outlet for tattooed beatniks. Olympic sports? Uh, no.
Meanwhile, baseball, one of the 4 major sports in the world, has been dropped. This is a complete joke.